Things I need to FINISH

Sunday, October 25, 2015

My One Little Word for 2015 is "FINISH."  This word is appropriate for me because I like to start things. Lots of things. But finishing them is quite another matter. And now that the year is almost finished, and I haven't done much work on the OWL album (read “none”), I want to take stock of what I absolutely need to finish by the end of the year. 
I had so many knitting plans for this year. However, like all best laid plans, mine went awry. It always seems that when I set goals and make plan, something happens to thwart them. In the late spring, I began getting severe pain in my right wrist and arm, making me think I was developing carpal tunnel syndrome. That put me off my knitting for over a month, and I spent the summer playing catch up. Because nothing succeeds like a deadline, I was able to bust out the two projects I had to finish in a certain time frame. 
Probably the longest running WIP I have going right now is my Custom-Fit short-sleeve scoop neck sweater, knit in red Cascade Ultra  Pima cotton.The knitting’s been finished for ages, but the actual finishing was giving me fits. The set-in sleeves look better than most of the other sweaters I've made, but that’s not saying much. It’s wearable, though.  I still need to finish the hem. I chose a folded hem rather than an edging - which I now regret, because I have to hand sew the hem to make the garment wearable. I’ll have more to say about this later, but I think this is my last attempt at a sewn set-in sleeve. Once I get this sewn, I think this sweater will become a staple in my wardrobe.

I realized that I won't be able to get my Meta shawl finished in time for my aunt's birthday in early November, so I made a one-skein scarf with some stash Malabrigo Silky Merino in a hot pink on big needles that I should finish in plenty of time. Meta has now been postponed until Christmas
I put my Circo cowl on hold as well, but only because I need to finish the scarf first. This one isn't due until Christmas.

I started a pair of gloves, knit on size 1.5 needles, thinking they would make a Christmas present for my nephew who specifically asked for gloves. What was I thinking? It took forever just to do the cuff. So those are put aside. I saw some really cool mittens (along with a collection of 1940s knitting patterns) on the Victoria and Albert Museum website, but they also call for a size 13 UK needle which is a US size 1. I just don’t have the time or the patience for that. But I saw a cool adaptation knit in a larger gauge, using Ann Budd’s The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns for the math. I have taken that book out of the library a lot, so decided to buy my own copy. I thought I had some worsted stash yarn that would make great mittens in a bigger gauge, but it seems that I have single skeins, and no one-handed people to knit for, so back to the store I go.  They shouldn’t take too long to knit up and I think I can make at least 3 or 4 pairs by Christmas. Maybe I’ll throw in a pair for the mitten tree at Church - I can try a kids size first and get a pair out of one of those skeins. 
Finally, I’m going to meet Baby C  at Thanksgiving, and I just have to finish sewing up my little pink cardigan for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment