Pages

What's on my needles

Monday, January 19, 2015

I've been working on Laura Nelkin's Skywalker as a preparation for the Life Cycle Shawl, and it's quickly become apparant that if I keep using the yarn I'm working with (Cascade alpaca lace) on size two needles, I'm going to have to add a lot more stitches unless I want a shawl for a Barbie doll. The construction is a semi-circle using a version of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl technique, which doubles the number of stitches as the radius of the shawl gets longer. I have two full skeins of the stuff, so I can keep going until the yarn runs out

Last weekend, I took a trip to the Big Box Craft Store (not the controversial one) and bought some cheap yarn to use for trying out stitch patterns. I am all about luxury yarns, not just because of the beauty of the finished product, but because knitting is such a tactile activity that so much of the enjoyment is in feeling the luscious fibers in the hand as you knit. But because I want to develop a collection of swatches for design projects, I need something cheap. Big Box yarn to the rescue!

Best of all, I have just learned that my cousin is expecting a baby boy in May! This will be the first baby of the new generation, making me a first cousin twice removed, the cousin equivalent of a great aunt. I love making baby things because they finish so quickly even on tiny needles.  I have started Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket in Cascade's North Shore Prints in Beach, which although 100% acrylic (and therefore washable), feels like the softest pima cotton. It's coming along quite nicely since I started in on Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment