Pages

(Yarn) Crawlin' through the Steel Valley

Friday, August 8, 2014

I've had a fun two days visiting new yarn shops participating in the Steel Valley Yarn Crawl. On Wednesday, I made the drive out to Sewickley to visit Yarns Unlimited, bringing my friend Melody along for the ride. Melody is not a knitter, and even after admiring the beautiful colors and touching the soft fibers, she still has no desire to knit. But she did pick out some Berroco Vintage in a vibrant blue, aptly named Pool Party, for me to make her a custom scarf. It's a great color for her because she is a very upbeat person, and I'm going to have fun coming up with something that suits her.

Yarns Unlimited had a custom color way of Kiogu KPPM made especially for the crawl, but by the time I got there, it was long gone. I spent a long time going through the Rowan yarns, but ended up buying a skein of Swans Island Natural Colors Merino fingering weight in Garnet. There's someone on my Christmas list who has the perfect coloring for it, and it would be perfect for a ruffled edge scarf. (Maybe. That's a lot of stitches, so I may not want a deadline.)

Thursday, I visited Yarns by Design in Oakmont.  Although I am in Oakmont more often, I haven't taken the time to stop in before. Definitely a mistake I will rectify in the future. They have some lovely choices, but I was most intrigued by their Habu selection. The Purl Bee has had some intriguing projects made with Habu textiles, most recently the Open Air Wrap. After much deliberation, I chose Wrapped Silk. I'm experimenting with a simple garter stitch on the bias on huge needles for an open, lacy look that will knit up quickly. This one is definitely for me! I also picked up two different colors of  Spud and Chloë  Sweater to make a brioche scarf (probably a gift) and two skeins of the scrumptious Road to China Light which will be a gift for my aunt.

I only made it to these two stores before my budget ran out. I wanted to buy yarns that a) aren't offered by Natural Stitches and b) to make special projects either for myself or as gifts.  Next year, I'll be budgeting better, and making the trip to Ligonier! In the mean time, I'm sure I'll find myself at both these shops before the next crawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment