Pages

Visiting Purl Soho

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Last week, I had the chance to visit Purl Soho's New York store.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time for an extensive visit, or to take photos because I was with a 14 year old boy who was impatiently waiting for me outside.  My closest LYS, Natural Stitches, has a Gamestop next door  - a win-win for both of us - but upscale Soho boutiques are not his thing.

The shop is a lot smaller than I've imagined, but the colors and aesthetic are exactly as I pictured. I've been admiring their very expensive yarns for years, but haven't wanted to take the plunge without being able to touch the yarn. You really can't tell what a yarn is like by reading about it. It must be touched.



I splurged on two skeins of Purl Soho Alpaca Pure in Steel Blue. I can honestly say that it's the softest yarn I've ever touched, even softer than some cashmeres. It's a true joy to work with.

I am using it to make my first ever custom design, the Mossy Rib Cowl. Once I'm finished and have the pattern written up, I'll share it here. It's knitting up pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment